Written By Katy [Copyright 2009]

When Nallah, a pro designer in the making starts Middle school, her whole social life gets pounced on by the school bully. When she takes on the challenge of sewing costumes for the school play, her talent is finally recognized, and her social status climbs. But will it be too much for Nallah to handle?


Friday, May 15, 2009

Chapter 6

Chapter 6: Big Bird

"Has anyone seen Mehgan?" I asked for at least the 100th time.
It was the morning of the 3rd day of school at Lakeview Academy, and my new friend, Mehgan was nowhere in sight.
"I really don't know" Alicia Thomas exclaimed, examining her perfectly plucked eyebrows in her compact mirror. Shading my eyes from the mirror's reflected sunlight, I stomped through the gravel in my hot pink Forever21 Patent Cork Pumps. Scanning the crowd I thought I saw a figure in a big yellow raincoat push their way through the crowd.
"Hey!" Kami yelled at the figure. She jumped up and down pretending to look like an excited lottery winner. "It's BIG BIRD!"
Kara and Klaire traded confused looks.
"You know...from Sesame Street?" Rachael Greene said with a lisp.
"Thats not very nice" I told Kami before storming into through the door and through the hall. The yellow figure sped up before dashing into the Bathroom.
"Hey!" I said trying as hard as I possibly could to sprint into my pumps. "Wait up."
Gasping for breath I entered the bathroom to see Mehgan huddled between two sinks, yellow raincoat and all.
Sighing a breath of relief I tore off my pumps and sat next to her, hugging my knees.
"Mehgan." my voice echoed through the empty stalls. "Do you want to tell me what is going on?"
She shook her head and pulled the slick yellow hood over her head.
"Okay, I just chased you through the halls in these," I held up my scuffed pumps. "And you want to give me the silent treatment?" I questioned.
She giggled, and lifted the hood off her head.
"I just can't do this, Nallah."
"What? Tell me what is bugging you?"
She sighed and put her hand on her forehead impatiently.
"No, go out there in this." she unbuttoned the yellow raincoat, revealing the beautiful navy slub dress."
"Why?" I asked. "You look great."
she pretended to be more interested in buttoning up her coat.
"It's just that I don't want Kami to humiliate me....again." She said finally looking down at her torn cuticles.
"I have a feeling that she won't." I said, offering a devious smile.
She smiled back.
"What are you planning?" She said.
"Ohhhh partner in crime, you'll see." I said, cracking my knuckles.


[note: That was super short. in a real novel chapters 5 and 6 might have been combined.]

No comments:

Post a Comment