Written By Katy [Copyright 2009]

When Nallah, a pro designer in the making starts Middle school, her whole social life gets pounced on by the school bully. When she takes on the challenge of sewing costumes for the school play, her talent is finally recognized, and her social status climbs. But will it be too much for Nallah to handle?


Thursday, May 7, 2009

Chapter 5

Chapter 5: New in Navy

Skippy, the pudgy, black pug played tug-of-war with the fluffy purple goose-feather pillow on Mehgan's twin bed. It was around 4'o'clock, and with school out for the day, Mehgan and I lay flat on our stomachs with sewing machines put-putting away, the faux fur rug below us scattered with scraps of clothing, beads, and supplies.
"Skippy." Mehgan scolded gently.
Opening his wrench-like jaw, she managed to free the pillow from Skippy's incisors. It was then discarded onto a desk, full of Mehgan's other projects. At the moment, I was bedazzling a red fringe hobo bag, while Mehgan was working on the same project, except in orange. Despite the many distractions, Mehgan worked quickly, her hand wobbling with every seam ripped. Her hair was piled into a messy bun, and her familiar overalls covered a faded yellow t-shirt.
Once finished with my project, I stood up to smooth out my pinstriped black trousers, and adjusted the matching bow perched high on my head. Mehgan, too busy too look up from her machine, didn't even notice when I strode over to her closet, and pulled open the doors like unmasking a criminal. Full of anticipation, I leafed through the hangers draped with fabulous, handmade tops, skirts and dresses.
"Mehgan!" I shrieked sarcastically.
She looked up and turned red-faced with embarrassment. Before she could answer, or say "it's nothing", or "I'm not that good", I cut in.
"This is the most amazing sewing I have ever seen!"
Cutting her off again, I added.
"You are definitely wearing some of this tomorrow."
She opened her mouth, as if to say, "No way," or "Didn't I tell you what happened last time?", but she closed it again.
Skippy let out a bark of approval, as if encouraging her.
"Well...." she paused. "M-maybe. If you really think I should...."
"I absolutely think you should!" I exclaimed. "I'll even pick it out for you."
"Really?" Mehgan asked eagerly.
"Of course." I said, and with that, I leafed through the rows of clothes to find "the outfit" that will definitely make a statement that Mehgan definitely needs.
After around 10 minutes, I had 4 outfits for her to choose from, and I had a feeling that, "the one" was among them.
Mehgan took the outfits, folded them over her arm, and headed toward the Jack and Jill bathroom that she shared with her younger sister, Gemma.
I waited patiently on her twin with Skippy playfully yanking my sleeve. His slobber leaked from the corners of his mouth and dripped like glue, and splattered onto my leg. Before I could grab any Kleenex from the side table, the bathroom door squeaked open, and a totally different Mehgan emerged. The navy Slub Roped halter dress didn't hang on her like the old overalls, and her eyes were sparkling like jewels. On her size 6's, Patent Buckle Sandals accented her outfit even further, along with her loop handle tote, and earth toned braided headband. Tears leaked out of the corners of my eyes, and ignoring the slobber trickling down my leg, I put my arms out wide and exclaimed.
"You look amazing."
From that moment on, Mehgan and I both knew that this was "the one."

No comments:

Post a Comment