Written By Katy [Copyright 2009]

When Nallah, a pro designer in the making starts Middle school, her whole social life gets pounced on by the school bully. When she takes on the challenge of sewing costumes for the school play, her talent is finally recognized, and her social status climbs. But will it be too much for Nallah to handle?


Sunday, April 26, 2009

Chapter 2


CHAPTER 2: Bubblegum Bandits

The Bus came to a screeching halt, a few steps away from the entrance of Lakeview Academy. Butterflies did flips in my stomach as I balanced my weight onto my Calvin Kleins. Moving my white-blonde hair behind my ears, I gulped and made my way off the bus, one step at a time. Once my foot touched the pavement, I felt a sense of accomplishment, feeling invincible. I strutted to the revolving door pretending like I was on my way to the podium to accept an Oscar.
The lobby was like any other private school lobby, except for the floor to ceiling crown molding, gleaming black and white tiles, and a big mahogany desk. A long line stretched from the desk all the way to the door with impatient students waiting for their schedules. Pacing in line I wondered about which teachers I would receive.
Time ticked away, until I finally reached the desk. A petite, silver haired woman with horn-rimmed glasses sat behind the desk eyeing me.

“Name?” she asked with a British accent.

“Nallah Richardson” I pronounced.

The woman handed me a manila envelope with a red wax seal, and simply said “Next”, before I could even say “Thank you”.
I took a seat in a leather recliner chair and carefully opened the envelope. The Lakeview Academy’s anchor logo was stamped in the upper left hand corner, along with my name written in neat cursive. Scanning down the sheet, I read the names of my teachers.

“Mrs. Gregory, Ms. Dickens, Ms. Adams, Mrs. Ingalls.”

A bell sounded three times, before a voice came over the loud speaker.

“Welcome students! I am your principal, Mrs. Bleu with some morning announcements regarding your schedule….”

Whatever Mrs. Bleu said next, I didn’t pay the least bit of attention to. I was too busy staring at a tall olive-skinned girl who entered the lobby, followed by two others, identically dressed. They were each wearing peach lace cardigans, with white knee-length slacks and gladiator sandals. I was sure my mouth was hanging open by then, as the woman at the front desk greeted them by name, and pulled at the neckline of her turtleneck. The “leader” rolled her eyes, and blew a pearly pink bubble, showing her whitened teeth. The other two girls did the same in unison. Snapping out of my trance, I zoned back in hearing the voice over the loud speaker dismiss us to our first period classes. Rising to my feet, I smoothed out my skirt and thought out loud.

“I might just have some competition.”

No comments:

Post a Comment